Monday, April 14, 2008

What are little boys made of?

I just have to talk a little about our newest extracurricular activity, Boy Scouts. When my boys were little I never thought we would join scouts. I always thought that baseball, soccer, football, karate, etc would be our activities. However, I fail when it comes to entertaining my little boys. I love playing board games BUT camping, fires, bugs, dirt and video games are not my THING.


We knew in cub scouts boys could be boys, so we decided to let Kevin join. He was hesitant at first, not knowing what to expect. At our first meeting we made kites, second was physical health, and third was the pinewood derby race. By the time the pine wood derby race came along I knew Kevin was hooked. The meetings became a place that focused on "boy things".

Further, at the pinewood derby race, he had won every race. Kev and his dad had researched building pinewood derby cars on the internet, sanded and spent hours rubbing the wheels with graphite. Although there were no awards, he knew he had won and it was a private victory that I could see all over his face.

His latest meeting was a "Day Camp" where he raised the flag, made boats to race, crafts, hot dogs, soda etc. I can't explain the excitement I feel when he comes home with a smile on his face and explains all the things he did.

An added bonus...When it's time for the meetings he gets ready to go without a fuss. We don't get that with other activities.

No comments: